Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] FT8 and the ARRL June VHF Contest - Reformatte

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] FT8 and the ARRL June VHF Contest - Reformatted!
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:18:25 -0600
As many of you know, I had been forecasting the "death" of SSB on 6M due to
FT8 for some time.  It has certainly come true on day-to-day openings.

While I understand the attractiveness of the mode for some purposes, FT8 is
not something any thinking contester should want to use during a Es opening
on 6M.  At least I thought so.  Why would a thinking contester want to
operate a mode that throttles the QSO rate to WELL BELOW 60/hr, regardless
of activity.  BTW, there is NO WAY anybody is going to run 1 per minute on
FT8 for a entire hour - show me a log, as submitted to ARRL and prove me
wrong, if you can.   In the past, a good contester in a excellent opening
COULD and DID run 3-4/minute as long as that opening stays good.  I ran
3-4/minute from W5UHF last weekend in the only decent Es opening we had,
which lasted less then 45 minutes.

Since this discussion is taking place on the VHF *CONTESTING* reflector, I
assume the members of the list are interested in CONTESTING, not just
making contacts.  Even if you are just interested in making contacts or
working new grids, I would also assume you would want to do it in the most
efficient way possible and make the most of any opening.  When the band is
OPEN, that way is via SSB (or CW, to a lesser extent).  When the band is
NOT open well, that way could be FT8 or any other WSJT mode that works for
you.

As far as my "death" forecast is concerned, I have seen mixed opinions and
mixed results.  K1TO appeared to have had no lack of SSB/CW stations to
work.  N9HF says the same.  AF5CC argues the opposite - that FT8 has
impacted the run rate on SSB.  Unfortunately, the station I was at, while
capable of big rate, never had the kind of opening that would prove my
forecast one way or the other.  Is this something that can even BE proven ?

The bottom line in my mind is the same as before the contest - operate FT8
(or JT65 or MSK144 or <?>) when the band is marginal or just opening.  As
soon as the band is obviously open, get the heck off the WSJT-X screen and
on to SSB (or CW, if you wish).  This is what we did from W5UHF and it
worked (as well as it could with limited Es openings).  If "you" (the
collective you) wish to stay on FT8 during a loud Es opening, just remember
that your rate will suffer immensely, as well as your senses, due to the
massive QRM.  If you are NOT contesting, then remember your ability to make
contacts and maybe work new grids will be impacted negatively.

If FT8 continues to be the dominate mode during contests, conditions be
dammed, you will probably find a lot of the talented operators (a lot of
them are loud stations and easy to work for the masses) missing from future
contests, or at least from serious participation.  Speaking for myself, I
LIKE TO RUN RATE !  If I can't, because there is no rate to be run, I will
most definitely reevaluate my participation is ARRL June VHF and CQWW-VHF.
Why would you care ?  Because that's one less multiplier everyone else can
work....

You all can do as you wish - at least think about what you're doing.  As I
mentioned earlier this spring, FT8 appears to be the first technology
"breakthrough" embraced by contesting that actually reduces rate.

Any hate mail received direct will be responded to via the reflector, so
don't - we're having a "state of 6M contesting debate" :)

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.