[VHFcontesting] 2m FT-8 Problem Solved

To: "Mark Spencer" <mark@alignedsolutions.com>, "James C" <jabeco@gmail.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2m FT-8 Problem Solved
From: "Steve\(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:38:19 -0400
I agree .174 is not a great choice being so close to .175. At least do a splinter freq of .172.5 keeping the adjacent channel interference to a minimum. If finding a clean frequency on 2m is such a struggle my suggestion is to keep 2m FT-8 Free. There is so much special interests band segments on 2m it sure does seem finding an FT-8 home is going to bother someone. I would rather see 2 freq on 6m to avoid a lot of collisions and speed up the contact. I guess these digital modes have merit but I find them boring watching my PC make a contact. Crowding CW and SSB makes no sense.

2m = FT-8 FREE. PROBLEM SOLVED...

Steve
K1IIG

Ditto. I was also at the conference and have used 144.174 for FT8 in VE7Land. 144.174 seems to me to be a reasonable choice for the PNW, South Western BC and neighbouring areas.

If someone wants to put some effort into finding an alternative frequency that might be better for use in all of Canada and the USA I might consider changing, but for now I'm fine with 144.174 for FT8.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com