Re: [VHFcontesting] 2018 June VHF Contest - Preliminary Resu

To: detrick@merzhaus.org, waisean@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2018 June VHF Contest - Preliminary Resu
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:06:25 -0400
Detrick,

It was a pleasure meeting you a few weeks ago and I sure hope to work you in
September from many grids.  Virginia is a great state to rove from.

 Check out your gear this weekend.  I will be happy to run the lower bands with
you SSB (no 222) or FM (all 4 bands) Saturday or Sunday just tell me when.

Friday night before the contest head out the toll road and grab 81 north to
FN-21 and get a good nights sleep.  Alternately you  could start at FN11 along
I-99 near a grid  corner. Coming back south on I-81 will run you through 11
grids (13 if you use I-99) with short detours to work the grid corners). Finish
up in EM97 or cut it short in FM07 for an easy but late drive home.

Altitude in increases as you go south so you can work the same stations to the
north over and over again.  You will be able to work skyline drive and
occassionally the higher, 2nd west range of the blue ridge as you head south.

The "rare" FM 28, 27, 26 grids will be open to you as you head south and ascend
skyline with an eastern field of view.

I won't pretend to give advice on  rover operation tricks as I work fixed site
FM.  However I will second all of Seans comments with emphasis on publicizing
the schedule. Email all stations you have worked before so they are looking for
you.  Post your route on this relector.

If you want I will be happy to suggest hill tops in PA, MD and Va grids along
either route.  I have made a study of alterrnate sites to Reddish and Flagpole
Knobs.  If you can afford the time join me on Reddish for a couple hours.

73
John
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

and Sean Waite, WA1TE, wrote:
> I've been working on it. I almost had another rover...

Here are some thoughts from the new guy on getting others interested: the
wife and I did our first rover outing for June VHF this year. We only
halfway knew what to expect, and have a ton to learn. In the end, we had
fun, but I don't feel like we did it right, and don't entirely know why
we'd want to do it again. Not that we don't, but I can't come up with any
reason why. So there's perhaps one thing to do to get others interested:
convince me that I should do rover (again).

And here's the other part: how I even got started to begin with. I learned
it was even a thing through Reddit after reading a post by KA5D. If you're
not familiar, there's an Amateur Radio subreddit (
https://reddit.com/r/amateurradio) that discusses any and all things ham
related. Reddit has a generally younger crowd, and is probably a very good
place to go trying to get others interested.

-detrick
K4IZ