Re: [VHFcontesting] FN55 result and comments

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FN55 result and comments
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 09:42:21 -0700
I ran analog only in the September contest from my Rover / back pack portable
station (although I only operated on Saturday.)  I don't really have enough
data to draw any conclusions about the impact this may have had on my score but
I quite enjoyed running that way.   As this is a hobby the enjoyment / having
fun factor is a consideration for me (:

I spent part of this weekend experimenting with dual receive setups at the home
2M station (one receiver for analog one for digital.)  At this point I'm
doubtful I will replicate that in the rover (let alone the back pack station.)
I'm thinking I'll try this out from home during the sprint this evening and
probably the January VHF contest.   At first glance listening for both analog
and digital signals seems to have some merit and I suppose in principal it
isn't much different than the way I almost always listen to 146.52 FM when
roving while also running on 144 MHz SSB for example.   (I also managed to get
two extra points by listening to 146.52 FM last weekend.)  Having the computer
decode the digital stuff and my brain decide the analog stuff seems a good
division of labour.  I expect I will give the digital modes from the rover /
backpack station another try in the June 2019 contest.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ/R

mark@alignedsolutions.com