Re: [VHFcontesting] FN55 result and comments

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FN55 result and comments
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 14:04:50 -0400
John,

I am not giving up! No way! In fact I am increasingly taking
financial risks to add bands. I'm not yet crazy enough to push it
this far if I had any thoughts of giving up.

However, some have given up.

My intent is not to whine. I am just trying to create awareness of
what VHF contesting is like up here. From the comments I get on and
off the air it has become increasingly evident that many don't have
a clue.

Of course it won't work if everyone calls CQ all the time. As a
sometimes HF contester I am well aware of that. However, it does
seem that people expect those of us way up here to do a mix of S&P
and running... without understanding that running is a road to
nowhere for us.

I did try the cheap panadaptor trick using one of the RTL-SDR
dongles. I had it tapped into the IF of my transceiver but it didn't
seem to work well. Perhaps I can put a splitter in the receive line
between transverter and transceiver and try it there. It would have
been easier where I had it since as I add bands not all my
transverter IFs will be the same. It is probably worth noting,
though, that the vast majority of stations I find are barely audible
at the noise floor - notably because I am off the back of their
antenna. I doubt I would see them on a panadaptor. These are
stations in the 200-400 mile range. The ones at 400-500 miles who I
manage to hear are often stronger. Why? I suspect because they are
far enough away to be on the other side of a major population center
that happens to lie along a line from them to me, and that provides
incentive for them to point this way.

I am aware that in contesting time is points. I can understand that
spending time calling in this direction is too costly even with one
or more multipliers on the line.

A few points that I hope people will take from this discussion are:

1. Most of us who get on from outlying grids (at least up this way)
are not VHF contesters per se. We know we can't be competitive.
Reasons we get on are:

a. To give out our grids!

b. To make interesting / fun contacts that are not available outside
contests

c. Hoping for a major band opening to coincide with a contest

2. Running is not a viable means of getting QSOs for us.

3. This is not a new situation. Back in the mid 1980s I was told by
the most experienced local VHF weak signal operator up this way at
the time that it would be very difficult as we are going to be off
the back of most of the antennas most or all of the time. He was
very discouraged and at the point of giving up at the time.

4. Like it or hate it, the ARRL rule change and internet chat rooms
help keep those of us in outlying areas active. Being able to use
this resource to get QSOs that are otherwise not going to happen is
one of the major reasons I have come back to VHF contesting. See
1.b. above.

5. Many more QSOs could be had if people preparing to run bands
would either take a moment to look for other callers before moving
(best due to propagation variability) or come back to the original 2
meter frequency after running bands and *before* moving their
antenna back to some more productive direction.

In any case, I have made my points. Take them or leave them. I have
to get back to cutting 432 elements! Time's wastin'!

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf