Re: [VHFcontesting] Keeping ice and snow off of antennas /R, /P: doesn't

To: nosigma@aol.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Keeping ice and snow off of antennas /R, /P: doesn't work!!
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 04:03:37 +0000 (UTC)
When I eat crow I prefer it iced.

The silicon spray doesnt work in an full blown ice storm. Ice still sticks to
ice.  All you get are nice thick ice tubes that easily slide off once broken
free of the boom.

I am QRT due to ice build up, 1/4 inch+.  2m and 6m gamma matches bridged to
the driven element with ice. VSWR went over 3 amps refused to drive and I had
to cut power back to 8 watts then shut down.  Interestingly the M2 driven
elements  on 70cm and 1.25 bridged with ice but too but no vswr change.

Hope others had better luck.

One bright spot, a 310 mile FM 223.5 exchange with K1TEO at contest start.

73 all
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail