Re: [VHFcontesting] MFJ verions of G0KSC LFA's

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] MFJ verions of G0KSC LFA's
From: "Walter Miller, AJ6T" <aj6t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:51:45 -0600
Byron,

I have also been intrigued by the LFA Yagi design.  I recently ordered a Cushcraft/MFJ model LFA-2M9EL and I had hoped to get it operational by the January VHF contest.  However, due to construction and tuning problems the antenna is still sitting on the rear deck.  The first problem I ran into was discovering that no hole had been drilled in the boom for the first director. Hmmmm....MFJ quality assurance strikes again.  I had to drill a hole with my hand drill at the specified location.  As you noted, the solid rod elements are mounted "Cushcraft style" to the boom. This is unlike the original G0KSC Innovantennas design that has insulated elements.  I was surprised to discover that the antenna does not have a connector for the coax feed.  You have to make a three-turn coaxial choke balun and connect the flying leads to the screw posts on the loop.  Don't forget to waterproof those exposed leads to prevent water from wicking into the coax.  After all that I was unable to find a smooth resonant point when adjusting the loop size with the antenna pointed skyward.  Now I'm considering making or purchasing a ferrite bead balun to replace the three-turn coaxial choke recommended in the Cushcraft/MFJ manual. I was surprised to discover on the G0KSC website that Innovantennas now offers a bead balun to feed their version of this antenna.  I'll come back to attempt to resonate my LFA-2M9EL when I have time, but for now to say that I am disappointed would be an understatement.  Of course none of this relates to the performance of this antenna once it is tuned up and put on the air.

73, Walt, AJ6T