[VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint, FN55 status, plans

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, NEWS VHF Reflector <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint, FN55 status, plans
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 06:38:43 -0400
I managed 13 QSOs in 8 grids under terrible conditions. High winds,
dry air, intermittent wind aggravated power line noise. Best DX was
N2NT at 437 miles... a big gun to be sure but peaking honest S7
several times during the evening. With an optimized noise floor of S
zero I can assure you S7 is loud. Thanks for the fun and for several
favorable reports on my audio. I had fun! It is good to be back on 222!

I now have 3 V/U bands:
144 -- 1500w, 16 dBi at 110'
222 -- 800w, 18 dBi at 117'
432 -- 130w (CW only), 21 dBi at 113'

I am at a point where I have to pinch myself to see if this is real.
Most in my position would not have ham radio beyond shack on a belt
or perhaps 100w and a wire on HF. Here I am with two 100' towers and
QRO. Wow. I make this hobby a very high priority but I also had a
lot of help from many generous folks and would not be where I am
today without it. Thanks!

Long term plans are more power and linear on 432, get 1296 up and
running. I've got some older but serious 1296 hardware here but
still  a lot of missing bits. I don't foresee any of that happening
for 2-3 years but we'll see if any opportunities turn up. 6 meters
will get reinstated, that should happen this summer.

Meanwhile, now that I am out of building mode for a while I will be
on 2 meters as often as possible, probably 3 to 5 mornings per week
and any Es or tropo openings I can catch. I'll have 222 and 432 at
the ready.

See you on the bands. I will be on for the 432 Sprint next week.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf