Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint, FN55 status, plans

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint, FN55 status, plans
From: Chris Lumens <chris@lumensoutdoors.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 13:51:33 -0400
> Sorry, I didn't. Conditions were wildly up and down, or I may not
> have had the antenna quite on you. This 22 element yagi is pretty sharp.

Yeah I bet.  Like I said, the wind was blowing my antenna around a good
bit too so I might have just spun away from you.  I do not have a good
way of keeping antennas steady on my car at the moment.  That's probably
the biggest thing to solve for me this year.  I've got a 10el yagi which
is about as much antenna as I want to haul around on the roof.

> Working rovers would be huge for me too. The big issue remains how
> to connect with not only rovers, but everyone. Calling CQ on 2
> meters for hours rarely results in a QSO, yet I can work stations
> 450-500 miles out doing search and pounce. Announcing a CQ frequency
> in advance really doesn't seem to help. Eventually I will figure out
> something that works... I hope!

There's the chat pages, which I guess a lot of people use but I haven't
because it's annoying to deal with that in the car.  You could try to
schedule things in advance, but I feel like it's entirely too easy to
get behind on your schedule.  In the past what's worked for me is to
just call AF1T when I'm somewhere, meet up on 6m or 2m, and run the
bands from there.

I definitely want to get you from as many grids as possible - that FN55
mult would be huge for the score.  I feel like we should be able to work
from FN43, FN42, FN33, and FN32 without too much difficulty.  We just
need to be able to find each other.

I've also considered an all-grids-in-NH rove, which I think I'd be able
to work you from each.

> I have 1500w and a 7 element yagi at 105 feet but it got orphaned a
> year and a half ago due to not enough feedlines to the far tower. I
> now have plenty of big low loss cable but need to make a decision
> and commit to making something happen. I have three options:
>
> 1. Dig up 250 feet of direct buried cables to add another run.
>
> 2. Add relays to allow two bands to share one coax run.
>
> 3. Move one antenna to the other tower (but this would then use up
> the big cable I was reserving for future 1296 unless I can squeeze
> another run through the buried conduit to that tower.

I don't own a tower, but #2 seems like the easiest way to me.  That's an
awful lot of digging, and a lot of tower climbing.

--
Chris Lumens - KG6CIH
Hike * MTB * XC Ski * Haskell