Re: [VHFcontesting] Pondering

To: w9rm@calmesapartners.com, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pondering
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 02:09:05 +0000 (UTC)
Marshall & Jay

X2.

The concerns expressed in the last few days about the drop rates/QSY's and
FT8's affect on that are informative and are shaping how I will TAKE ADVANTAGE
of the changes.  Unless I missed something I have not heard the perennial top
operators complaining too much.  I wonder why?

The bands and activity are what they are.  Analyze, adapt  and develop new
strategies to take advantage of the new terrain you are fighting on.

For me, I see my regional cadre of 200 FM regulars being more valuable than
they ever have been before.  The half dozen 4 band, 6 grid FM Rovers are worth
their weight in gold..  Having a lot of uniques is an advantage to me and a
disadvantage to "you".  Put them to use when you have the grid getting
abilities of FT8 on an SSB station and you get an additional 50Kpts plus.

The lack of Q's puts a lot more value on grids.  Night and morning ops on
MSK144 (a chip shot if you have FT8 running) become more important.

What strategies do you think are useful in this brave new world?

73
John
KM4KMU