Re: [VHFcontesting] Elecraft transverter question

To: "'Chet S'" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Elecraft transverter question
From: "Colin Haig \(VE3MSC\)" <ve3msc@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 11:13:35 -0500
For the record... here's what I did to my 3 XV transverters to solve issues
similar to Mike.

Heat problem - solved by replacing thermal pad between heat spreader
and case. Use Thermalcote heatsink grease instead.

Scraped paint off the case under screw heads, using a cylindrical
dremel bit, for all 3 XVs. Replaced the black screws with chrome or
stainless on the XV432. This helped the output substantially.

XV144 - the supplied crystal is out of range, and Elecraft will be
replacing. Turns out they started using same one for XV144 and the
internal K144XV. But XV144 will be more than 10KHz off, so you can't
correct for it.  I added a small series variable inductor between
xtal and ground, and this helped me get it within 5KHz. You can't
bend these crystals very far.

XV222 - I removed L19, jumpered it out, and replaced C12 with a
variable capacitor. Schematic says 12pF, assembly guide 18pF, and a
variable let me get the frequency within a few hertz.

XV432 - drilled a couple holes near U6 and jumpered top to bottom.
There just arent enough vias on this board. Replaced my U6. Output
now pretty stable. I still think PA Bias instructions in alignment
are wrong for this unit.
Fan wires would not go through the big via, so I soldered it at the
diode on the top of the board.

Already sent to him privately.
73,
Colin VE3MSC