Re: [VHFcontesting] Arrow Antennas for terrestrial work

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Arrow Antennas for terrestrial work
From: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:24:10 -0600
 Thanks for all of the comments on the Arrow Antenna dualband Yagi.  It
sounds like they might not be the best choice for permanent mounting due to
rust and vibration of the elements.  Those are good things to think about.

I currently have a Cushcraft A270-10S dualband yagi for the satellites and
weak signal work.  It does well on 2 meters but the 70cm elements are on
the topside of the boom, and they have a much higher takeoff angle, and the
SWR isn't as good either.  I was thinking that having the 70cm element
vertical, as on the Arrow antenna, might help with more satellite passes
since the take off angle would be lower.

It looks like the best bet would be to find room for another mast a light
duty rotor, and put up a dedicated 70cm beam instead.  I am hoping to
eventually get a array with elevation that can be used for EME and the
satellites, but that is a couple of years off, most likely.

In such an array, how much distance do the reflectors need from the ground,
when elevated, to keep any skewing of the pattern, or performance deficits,
from interaction with the ground?

73 John W5TD