Re: [VHFcontesting] FT-991 for FM contesting

To: wa6azp@gmail.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT-991 for FM contesting
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 22:45:55 +0000 (UTC)
Alan,

Finally got into the Jeep.  I live in a noisy urban ditch.

I too run the squelch at 5 to silence the noise.  I use this setting any time I
am not contesting.

I always have a light blue green trace on the waterfall at the freq I am tuned
into. It just barely stronger than the noise I see across the band scope.

 Squelch is never broken when set to 5 unless there is a real signal present.

No Birdie on the 991A at 147.456 with squelch at 5.  Moving squelch to 4 it's
just noise like any other freq without a real signal.

73
John
KM4KMU