Re: [VHFcontesting] FT4

To: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>, Alex <alex@kr1st.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT4
From: Gregory Winters <greg_winters@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 01:43:23 +0000
Hi Mark, et al,

I called and monitored FT4 on 6m here in CN85 for awhile and heard none.
Checking PSKReporter I saw very few FT4 reporting stations on 6m, compared to
FT8. After a couple of hours of switching back and forth I didn't check it any
further.

I expected some activity on FT4, especially as people had mentioned in previous
contests switching to FT4, particularly on 6m. Outside 6m, it had also been
mentioned elsewhere that FT4 may be advantageous on 1296, particularly due to
excessive drift on 23cm with the IC-9700; a half-as-short (and half as
sensitive!) cycle keeps the Hz drift inside the limits for decoding.

2m was my mainstay on this one though 2m SSB activity near me was nil, and I
was furiously busy on FT8 (2m) until it went almost silent maybe 2hrs into the
contest. 6m was hopping on FT8 but SSB was next to none here.

Greg, K3RW
CN85ro