Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting yesterrday vs today

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting yesterrday vs today
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:25:51 -0500 (EST)
Mike: My proposal (sent to ARRL but other than a couple of polite replies
didn't grow legs - thinking about sending again) accommodates your desire to
bring back a legacy only category (and modes). See below - not sure you saw it
when I responded yesterday. It also accommodates the digital group and the
hybrid operators (legacy and digital).

My proposal for ARRL VHF contests is to add three additional entry sub
categories:

"Legacy Category" (one contact on the same band with the same station on Phone
or CW ONLY).

"Digital Category" (one contact with the same station on the same band using
any recognized Digital mode ONLY).

"Mixed Mode Category" (potentially two contacts with the same station on the
same band; Phone or CW AND Digital). This category is a combination of "Legacy"
[phone or CW]   AND  " Digital" similar to the rules associated with ARRL 10m
Contest.

Phone/CW contacts can NOT be made on  frequencies recognized for digital modes
and all digital contacts MUST be made on recognized frequencies used for
digital modes ONLY. All the other rules and scoring will remain the same.

Stations that enter the Mixed Mode category may change modes at any time but
must follow the above rule associated where contacts can (or can not) be made.
This is to prevent working a station on phone/cw and switching to digital on
the same frequency.

Briefly, the spirit and intent of my proposal (paraphrased) which I sent to
ARRL:

There has been a tremendous amount of traffic about FTx VHF+ contesting on the
VHF reflectors over the past several years with many suggestions for rule
changes including; eliminate FTx from VHF+ contesting, restrict categories, add
categories, change QSO point values, have contest(s) without FTx, add a
stand-alone VHF+ digital only contest (I think this is a good idea but won't
solve all the problems), etc. I've heard of several VHF+ operators that have
decided to get out of vhf+ contesting due to FTx and the lack of SSC/CW and
ability to move stations to UHF and Microwave bands. I believe the challenge is
to retain legacy operators and operations and provide a competitive and fun
environment (similar to pre-digital) while also embracing digital ops. They can
be in two very different camps! This is where I believe rule changes come in to
play - to adjust the contest rules to accommodate both camps. After considering
and studying many of the proposed rule changes or adjustments, I support the
one above that I believe is similar to another popular contest –  the ARRL 10
meter contest. In that contest one has the option of competing in the Mixed
Mode (phone and CW), CW only or Phone only categories.

73,
Ed K3DNE