[VHFcontesting] digi - chat pages etc

To: alex@kr1st.com, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] digi - chat pages etc
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:14:07 -0700
I thought that one of the early excuses for chat pages being used was to
aid digital.  Coordinating sequences and the like.

I would be happy to see contests go back to radio as it was in the '80s.
Analog, if you heard them you tried to work them.  Scheduling tries was
done on a ham band (still no repeaters).  No internet, no digital signal
processing.  It was "who could hear each other".

In the west, a contact of 300 or 400 miles on 2 meters was good stuff.
You would hear from others on the band of activity.  No chat room feeding
info to you.  It was hard, didn't make huge numbers of contacts, but when
it worked  it was a lot of fun.

Running SSB/CW against the digital processing advantage of computer
automation?  FM with a handheld rapidly becomes more fun.

        Alan