[VHFcontesting] laptop power

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, w9sz <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] laptop power
From: Drew Arnett <arnett.drew@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:08:00 +0000
Hi Zack,

A partial answer...  I have more detailed notes I can dig up, but from memory...

I setup a Raspberry Pi 2, their official 7 inch display, plastic case,
WinkeyerUSB, Elecraft USB to serial CAT cable, USB to PS/2 adapter &
old model M keyboard (awesome!), no mouse, and a powerwerx 'usb buddy'
12 to 5V power converter.  All COTS.  This was for
display-keyboard-no-mouse HF contest logging with cat & keyer
integration.  Chose the Pi 2, even though it is more expensive and
less capable, because the power consumption numbers were lower.  Using
a modern model M (still in production) or whatever keyboard may reduce
power a bit as well.  Power consumption was 5.5 W IIRC.

The old thinkpad I have on hand measured 40 W idle.  Yuck.

On my todo list, but not gotten around to yet is to find out if it has
enough horsepower for fldigi or wsjtx or just as a waterfall display
(a la PX3) and to see what power consumption goes up to.

The setup above is a nice pairing for a QRP rig for portable battery
power contesting.  :-)

Yes, there is room for improvement over a regular laptop.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da