[VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone?

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone?
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 08:59:06 -0500 (EST)
I couldn't embed the chart in the email so it is now attached.

I'm doing some research and digging for data about the recent thread associated
with the effect FTx has had on traditional weak signal modes (ssb/cw).

In the process I noticed a dramatic decrease in both Limited Multi  and
Unlimited Multi activity and scores (September VHF Contests) in the mid-late
2000's and again in 2015. The authors of the results write-ups noted this as
well but didn't offer an explanation (unless I missed it).

Why??? FT8 didn't begin till 2017 (according to that write-up). Remember, I
only looked at the September results! 2015 was the first year allowing use of
spotting in all categories (spots, chat rooms, email, text, phone, etc.).

See attached chart (Word File). I had a little difficulty getting all the #'s
if it wasn't mentioned in the write-up - scanning and counting results - I may
have missed a few either way, scores were rounded.

Thoughts?

73,
Ed K3DNE

LM = Limited Multi