Re: [VHFcontesting] The impact of the digital modes on the January VHF C

To: "wb8lyj@gmail.com" <wb8lyj@gmail.com>, "n2wm@centurylink.net" <n2wm@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The impact of the digital modes on the January VHF Contest and some suggestions on dealing with those impacts
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 17:50:29 +0000 (UTC)
Jeff
I could not agree with you more.
Getting people, especially new people up on the air is the positive way to
increase activity.  Penalizing people for using one mode or another through an
outright ban, changing the points awarded or other "negative sticks" is not
going to make it more fun or increase activity.
You are all probably sick of hearing me say this....
Reach out to NEW hams.  Make the effort to get them on the air as Technicians.
If we want to increase the number of VHF/UHF contesters to work that is the
place to start.  Yes that means (shudder, can you stoop that low?) FM.  They
all have 2m & 70cm FM.  Ask club members (Tech, Gen, Adv) to make a QSO with
you during a contest.  Most HF rigs have 6m SSB and FM.  Take your log (SSB,
CW, FM or even FT-8) and use QRZ to find email addresses and ask them to get up
on the air for the next contest.  I have been building my FM QSO email list for
5 years, now up to 400+ and it has paid great dividends.  Over 150 stations and
380 QSO's on FM alone in January.
Last year I started to see  enough people on the air (FM) to make the activity
self sustaining.  It was fun to listen to all THE NEW vhf/uhf contesters work
each other.  Especially this January where the activity was intense.  Pile ups,
tailgating QSY's and nearly a full 33 hrs of activity on just FM.
I encouraged most that I worked who had multi-mode rigs to give 6m SSB a try.
9 out of 10 were hesitant since 6m SSB is always a dead band (your point about
daily activity is well taken).  Most tried and made a few contacts.  Sadly at
least two came back to me and said how much more fun they were having on FM due
to the lack of SSB activity IN A CONTEST,  though they were impressed with how
far they could reach out.  Those 6m QSO's are out there but they will remain
SILENT unless we work together to get them on the air.
Please take a positive approach to increasing activity on 6m SSB, CW & FM.  It
takes some effort, about 3 evenings effort in my case to update my email list
and send them out.  We all put way more effort into station testing, tuning and
building than it takes to rally up people to get on the air.  Todays new Tech
with FM only is tomorrows multi-mode (shack in a box)  rig owner entering every
contest IF WE MAKE IT FUN by generating turn out.
73JohnKM4KMU