Re: [VHFcontesting] There is still hope on 6m

To: Wyatt Dirks <dirkswyatt10@gmail.com>, VHF Contesting <Vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] There is still hope on 6m
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 17:23:11 -0500 (EST)
Wyatt,

It depends. June 2020 was dominated by 6m sporadic E. Probably not a great
comparator. Some June's we have lots of E's, sometimes very little. You are
correct, 6m rate does not correspond with running bands since many (maybe all?)
of those Q's via 6m E's are not workable on 2m and above. To QSY stations to
other bands the quantity of stations workable on groundwave (on 6 or 2m) is the
more important factor to being able to work other bands - which is happening
less and less due to FTx.

I recently took a historical perspective of September contests and did a lot of
data mining. There was a dramatic percentage increase (and number) of QSO’s
which took place on 6 and 2 meters in the September VHF contests between 2017
and 2020. However, in 2020 only 29% of 6 meter QSO’s were made on legacy (SSB,
CW, FM) modes and 63% of 2 meter QSO’s were made on legacy modes. If you
subtract the non-weak signal mode of FM from the legacy category, the
percentage drops to 28% on 6m and 58% on 2m. Essentially only about ¼ of 6m
QSO’s and about ½ of 2m QSO’s in September 2020 were made on a traditional weak
signal mode! This compares with the 2017 event where 80% and 99% of QSO’s were
made on via a legacy mode on 6m and 2m respectively. I’d hypothesize that prior
to FTx (2017) both the 6m and 2m percentages were most likely well over 90%
with digital QSO’s being made only on the digital modes for EME and meteor
scatter available at that time (I don't have access to those #'s). Also of note
was the significant decrease in QSO’s in bands above 1296 MHz during 2020 and
2018 (44% decrease compared to their previous years respectively).

It appears that FTx, at least during the September contests, is having an
impact on the quantity of QSO's made on a traditional weak signal mode. It is
interesting that as the # of weak signal QSO's on 6 and 2m have decreased
between 2017 and 2020 that the # of submitted logs have increased from ~475 in
2017 to 831 in 2020 which seems to indicate more overall activity from FTx but
less activity on 6 and 2m SSB/CW.

73,
Ed K3DNE