[VHFcontesting] June VHF / FN55 update

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] June VHF / FN55 update
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:46:01 -0400
Hi folks,

This contest I will only be able to operate 222 and 432. I will monitor 222.100 and ON4KST chat. This might not be a full time operation. If I get suitable weather for antenna work I will probably run off to do it unless there is massive tropo! My focus needs to be on saving antennas and getting back to full capability.

K1WHS has been putting me to shame on antenna work. I wish I could borrow some of his mojo!

Getting comfortable with climbing again is an ongoing process. Last week, before the heat wave, I was able to get the 2m and 6m antennas down. Both need new coax, boom trusses, and other minor repairs and upgrades. I did not like being up on the mast to get to the 2m antenna but I got it done! I need another perfect weather day to get the TH-11DX down before I can fully assess damage.

The "wish list" includes replacing/upgrading the tower top section and mast while the antennas are all down for repair. I'm not sure whether that or some compromise will be happening, nor exactly how long it will take. I intend to have the antennas back up before winter one way or another, even if I have to borrow money to do it. For me this is not just a hobby. It's a survival tool that needs to be restored ASAP.

As soon as I get this mess sorted out, my next major focus will be getting on 10 GHz. I need a new "challenge" band since the 2200m antenna won't be going back up. It was that antenna breaking during a winter storm that caused all of this other damage. Getting on 10G may take a while. I will see where I am and regroup when this current project is done.

I hope to catch some of you on the bands I have next weekend.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf