Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night

To: Peter Motyl <cs735171012@earthlink.net>, "jrusgrove@comcast.net" <jrusgrove@comcast.net>, Fred Stefanik <n1dpmfred@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:37:27 -0400
Hi Pete,

Well, I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing when it happened. I went looking for my hard hat and ducked as the shrapnel flew around behind the rack!  The good news is that the amp is OK. I dragged it home to look it over. There are some protective diodes in the metering circuit and those usually short out when there is a tube arc. I checked those and both seemed fine. The 12 volt 50 watt zener bias diode also looked OK.  I had to rebuild the fuse holder as part of it was missing after the bomb went off.  I found a big fuse clip thingey in  some old surplus stuff, and stole the two fuse clips to fix the amplifier. I got that done and then replaced the fuse with a new 1.5 amp HV fuse. I tried it out and the amp came up just fine down in the shop.I ran some 222 energy into the amp from my signal generator. I had a wideband amp that will make about 4 watts so I stuck that into the 8877 input connector and saw 100 watts coming out.  That is over 13 dB gain so it all looks OK.

So what happened?  It could have been that the fuse just decided that it was time to give out. It would make a pretty good noise just letting go.  It could have been a tube arc, but having good protection diodes afterward,  makes me think that maybe there was not an arc at all.  With all the news stories about politics lately, it also could have been caused by Donald Trump. I am going to stick with that explanation, or maybe it was cosmic rays from outer space. Everyone knows that cosmic rays are really bad too.

All this leaves me wondering about my crazy idea to use electrolytic capacitors as HV caps in series for HV filtering I think I went overboard a bit.  The end result is a huge capacitor bank value of 166 MFD. That is a good amount of stored up energy at 3500 volts. If anything in the HV line wants to consume current, 166 MFD will surely oblige that request.  I think I might remove the electrolytic bank and substitute a modern non PCB 6 MFD 10 KV cap instead. That way, if I get another arc, it will sound like a 30 cal handgun instead of turret B on the USS. Missouri!

Maybe I should use #32 wire as Jay recommended. I went with smaller stuff, like #47. It will pull over an amp without burning out, so I figured it was OK. I tried running some current through some #32 wire and it will do 5 amps. If I push the current higher, it breaks open at 7 or 8 amps, which seems awfully high to me. That is 28 kilowatts.

73

 Dave K1WHS