Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz night

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz night
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 22:20:26 -0400
Wow, I finally managed to be on for one of these! Evenings are still really tough for me but I got a nap in the afternoon and was quasi-functional at 7 PM! I made 12 QSOs total. 10 stations were worked on SSB/CW. Later two of them were worked again on FT8 for a total of 12 QSOs. I didn't expect to get more than half that many from way up here.

Every QSO was much appreciated! But the biggest thrill was easily working N3NGE on SSB. According to the software I'm using, that is 497 miles. Any time I can get a 500 mile QSO on SSB it's pretty darn good. For some reason I always seem to do better on 222 than I do on 144 or 432.

I wasn't sure if I could still send anything more than my call sign, grid and maybe an RST report on CW. It has been a while since I was really on the air with that mode. But I had a short CW chat with WA1T and Al's responses seemed to indicate he understood me, HI HI!

I would like to say a special thanks to Dave, K1WHS for not getting too annoyed with me when I broke in on two of his QSOs to work the other station. I don't usually feel comfortable doing that but excitement got the better of me, especially when I was hearing N3NGE so well. Thanks, Dave! That really made my evening.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf
900 watts, K1FO-22 at 117' and mast mounted preamp