Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz night from K1WHS

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz night from K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:39:28 -0400
It looks like N1BUG was a big winner for 222 night, catching 12 QSOs from northern Maine. That is a very impressive total. Thanks for being there Mr BUG!

For my part, I was on at a bit after 7 PM local time and heard N1BUG calling CQ.  He had a great signal even off the back of my beam. When I aimed 2 X 8 el his way he was 59+. While working N1BUG, I heard KA2LIM on frequency from FN12 on SSB no less. I figured it might be a good night!  Turns out there was a line of T-storms messing things up to the west. Condx were depressed for awhile in that direction as a result.  Some high points were: Working AF1R who was set up portable on a hill in MA.  Working W3CJK in RI , who just got going on 222 after many years off the band.   Snagging the N3NGE station way down in FN20bd. Thanks for getting on Bill and Len. Then there are the DX stalwarts, KO4YC & WA3EOQ at over 500 miles.   EOQ had a good signal on CW this time. We could actually talk to each other and his 90 watts was really percolating!   Of course, Cornell called on SSB. Pretty impressive for over 500 miles. Thanks to all the regulars! You know who you are. The activity level was quite high and made for a great evening for all!   I missed qa few stations who were on. I heard K1DS I think but never ended up working him!  My log looks like this after a fun evening:

N1BUG  FN55mf    160 miles
WA2VNV FN30KV    207 miles
W9KXI    FN12ne    313 miles
KA2LIM    FN12nf    312 miles
WW1M    FN43pi    12 miles
AF1R    FN42kh    76 miles
W3CJK    FN41hm    133 miles
VE3DS    fn03fq    430 miles
WZ1V    FN31rh    166 miles
N2JMH    FN12bw    353 miles
N1GJ    FN41qr    117 miles
KA3FQS    FN20jf    311 miles
N3NGE    FN20bd    340 miles
K1PXE    FN31ke    188 miles
NZ3M    FN10pd    374 miles
WA3EOQ    FM09jo    502 miles
N1SV    FN42ep    63 miles
VE3DS    FN03fq  (FT-8)    430 miles   very loud at this time +13 or so.  contact #2 N1SV    FN42ep    (FT-8)    (I turned off the driver amp to reduce power)   contact #2
N1BUG    FN55mf (FT-8)    160 miles   contact #2
WA1T    FN43    2.5 miles  (DX record Shortest distance QSO!)
KO4YC    FM17    514 miles  on SSB no less!

I tried scrounging up a 222 MHz meteor scatter contact and was met with crickets chirping. W5EME said he would like to, but we were waaay too far apart at almost 1500 miles. There were no other takers! C'mon guys & gals, Tuesday night is supposed to be 222 MHz activity night. There are many stations in the midwest with a few hundred watts and a single yagi on 222 who could be on but chose to be elsewhere.  So where were youse guys?   If you were watching "boating fails" or "Russian DashCams" on Youtube, SHAME ON YOU.  If you were polishing a PL-259, you might be excused, but you should have been trying to make contacts on 222 MHz on Tuesday evening.  A few weeks back I ran with AA9MY for about 20 minutes on a Tuesday evening and he copied six sets of calls from me. It is very doable if you have a few hundred watts output. He is in Illinois with 100 watts and at a good distance for me. I am still waiting to complete my first MSK144 contact.
73
Dave K1WHS