[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night N1BUG

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night N1BUG
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 05:42:33 -0400
Well that was nearly a bust! I don't know when I have seen conditions so poor and I made an error in strategy.

I had a brief chat with K1WHS at the start.

Tried a chat-coordinated sked with K1DS using Q65-60A. I saw nothing. Rick reported seeing a sync tone but no decodes. Discovered when it is hot in the shack my driver amp gets warmer than I feel is a good idea so I scrambled around really fast and found a 12V fan to sit on top of it and made a quick connection to a nearby power supply.

Tried chat-coordinated skeds with KA2LIM and WA2VNV. Not a peep.

Heard VE2XX talking to K1WHS but I was busy with a coordinated QSO attempt and didn't get a chance to work Stu.

Heard someone else (N1QG I think but not 100% sure) with Dave but I was busy with a sked.

Heard two stations chatting on 222.119.4, didn't give calls before they both faded out.

Called CQ on CW for a while and worked WZ1V.

So I had just two QSOs, K1WHS and WZ1V. Conditions seemed really horrible. One lesson learned for next time is no chat coordinated attempts in the first hour or so. That time should be left free for working the easy ones that I can hear around the band without assistance.

There was some EME activity and since I had not had any prior opportunity to see if I could hear signals off the moon on 222 I went down to listen in on that. The only station transmitting was K1WHS. I was decoding him direct of course, but for 45 minutes or so I was also seeing his sync tone clearly via the EME path. At times I could also see all of his tones via the EME path, but I never got an EME decode. This was curious because I know Dave's EME signal was strong enough for solid decodes, probably around -20 to -18 or so. Does WSJT-X refuse to decode the same call sign twice on two different frequencies within the passband on JT65? I am encouraged that I could see Dave's EME signal so well despite a bit of power line noise, but it doesn't appear there is much interest in Q65 among the 222 EME crowd.

I will be on ON4KST chat and Ping Jockey trying to find folks to run meteors this morning until 1300z. I have modified my schedule to free up all of Thursday the 12th and Friday the 13th (oops, do I want to run radios that day considering how my luck has been lately? HI HI) for meteor scatter. Unfortunately I don't think there are many within range on 222 that I haven't already worked. I hope some come out of the woodwork as I have been having a lot of fun with the meteors over the past week.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf