Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night K1WHS

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 06:42:56 -0400
Hello 222 ops,

Well , I seem to have flummoxed my Tuesday night activity by messing up my only EME sked. I should have been there the night before! I was only a day late. Thank goodness I wasn't a "dollar short" too. As a result, I missed the best time for local contacts, 8:30 to 9:30 PM.  It was nice to hear and work WA3NUF and N3GNC.  Phil & Jerome had great signals here into FN43 Mumbo Jumbo.  When I started my EME sked I had 11 QSOs in the log. One new one was N2SLO with his temporary 222 setup of 25 watts and a single yagi on one of those famous Radio Shack TV masts. Dave made it all the way up to northern New England with that small yagi only 20 ft off the ground. There was some QSB but he was always Q5 for our short ragchew. Thanks to all the new 222 night stations for getting on in the evening.

I had a nice long ragchew with KA2LIM in FN12. We got talking about a new 144 antenna for here along with some 222 elevation ideas.   I started out on 222.100 and pretty soon it got awfully crowded. I had multiple callers and heard other QSOs there at the same time, so I moved up quickly to .115. I heard K1PXE and WZ1V on SSB while I was in CW mode. I never ended up working Pete, nor Ron WZ1V.  VE2XX called off the back of the beam, and I turned the 4 yagis up NW for Stu. I also snagged N1QG near Burlington, VT and Chip, W1AIM, while aiming up there. Ed, N1QG was very loud considering the path is awful between us, going right thru the White Mountains and 4800 ft Mt Moosilaukee. Others I heard and worked include WW1Z, WA2VNV, K1DS, and N1BUG (Who is gosh awful loud even off the back of the beam here!

My EME attempt was a letdown. I assumed KB7Q would be there for three of my moonsets, but he was only there on Monday evening. I thought his first try was on Tuesday! I called for an hour with nothing copied, but got some play by play feedback from KL6M, K1OR, N1BUG, and WA4NJP. At least we had fun chatting on the HB9QQ logger. (That is the watering hole for 222 EME stuff) KL6M & WA4NJP heard me via the moon. At least I know the TX works!

When I came back at 9:30 PM, local activity has dried up. I tried some Q65 efforts with W8RU at about 650 miles. We tried 30 and then 60 second sequences with absolutely no results.  That is 150 miles farther than I typically get on CW to the West. I figured it was worth a try. We did hear a few meteors.

So it seems that I managed to tie with WZ1V with 11 QSOs for the evening. I am catching up to you, Good Buddy Ron!   W0VTT was there looking for any skeds with the East Coast. Meteors are good now and a 100 watt single yagi station will make contacts on MSK144 or FSK441.  Try it! It can be lots of fun.

Thanks to all for getting on.

73

Dave K1WHS