[VHFcontesting] Tuesday Activity Night Reminder

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "Vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday Activity Night Reminder
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 10:05:36 -0400
It is Tuesday and you know what that means!  Besides fighting off the Murder Hornets, it is also the day set aside for making real contacts on the 222 MHz band. Here on the East Coast, the activity usually starts at about 7 PM local time.  Last week we had some much needed activity in the midwest and that spawned a number of rather "longish" schedules to be set up and tried between East Coast stations and those more inland stations.  800-900 miles is a great distance for meteor scatter!

N6ZE did a cursory investigation of how many 222 & up QSOs were made during  the ARRL 222 & Up UHF Contest. His results were interesting, and showed up some significant activity in some rather surprising sections  of the country.  There are other areas with zero activity as well, and it is our job as VHF hams to help improve activity levels on the bands that we love.  The 222 Activity nights are meant to be an activity builder.  K6TSK has been active running a 222 MHz net in California as a means to promote activity in his area. There is a nucleus of dedicated W6 VHFers keeping activity up on 222 MHz.  There is some activity in the Southeast and If we all show up and set skeds up between the different areas of the country, the outcome will be more excitement and more activity!

Last week I tried some Q65 with disappointing results.  The path loss was about 15 dB more than my reliable range limit on CW (800 km)  I was thinking that possibly Q65 with 60 second sequences could bridge the gap, but nothing was detected.  Of course the best scenario is to have a station at the proper distance. Our effort seemed to be a "bridge too far".   As more people decide to get on for 222 night, more of these difficult paths can be explored!

I hope to see you on 222 this evening!

73

Dave K1WHS