[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night Wrap up.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night Wrap up.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 13:12:19 -0400
Hello VHFers,

Things were a bit different in the northeast last night. Everybody was all tired out from all the tropo activity the past few days. That is a good thing as  we have not been blessed with many days of good tropo. The 144 band was very active Monday night with the Fall Sprint coupled with good conditions. Reports I heard indicated that the best paths were to the NE into the Maritime Canadian provinces, but I know that the good conditions extended down at least into Virginia. Tuesday morning was very good as well, and the 144 band was hopping then as well.  I was making noise on 222 and 432 but activity was sparse. The bit of local lift allowed me to hear K3CX/b again from Philadelphia. It was about S4 here in Maine.   I did not work anything out of the ordinary, but it was great to work a few stations on 432 and get to test out my cavity filter mod. The new filter on 432  has tamed the receiver and I can now hear weak signals again.

Here is my list of 222 MHz stations worked during Activity Night. Fourteen different stations is a pretty good number for the north woods.

WZ1V    FN31
K2AEP    FN33
W9KXI    FN12
KA2LIM    FN12
W2BVH    FN20
W1AIM    FN34
N1SV    FN42
N2SLO    FN30
W1XR    FM19
W1JR    FN42
K1PXE    FN31
N1YCQ    FN41
KO4YC    FM17
W5AFY    EM04

KO4YC had a great signal on SSB, peaking at a good 5X5 from FM17gv.  He claims that his good results to the northeast are due to the fact that he has few trees in that direction. My advice to all is to cut down every tree on your property so you can do as well as Cornell! He does have the secret recipe!  I did not encounter much FT8 activity last night. I know N1SV was on FT8 and I went and listened for a bit, but had to QRT for a sked at 01:25 UT with W5AFY in EM04.  The evening started out with beautiful weather, so I went outside to look at the moon low in the East to verify my headings. When I opened the shack door, water was dripping off all of the coax cables and I was in a heavy fog bank! Visibility was about 100 ft. I had trouble even seeing the 222 antenna! So I turned the antenna to where I thought the Moon should be and crossed my fingers. The moon rose in Texas at 01:25 UT. I called from 01:25 to 01:26 and stood by. In a few seconds I started to hear tones in my headphones. It was W5AFY blasting in right at his Moon rise!I copied every sequence, but he was not detecting me. After about 15 minutes, he copied me and we completed!  That makes a new mode for me on activity night. Contacts have now been made on CW, SSB, MSK144, FSK441, FT8 and now JT65 off the Moon.  W5AFY is running a single 7wl long yagi as a tropo antenna, but it works very well for EME too! Really, his single yagi signal was audible in my headphones.

Next Tuesday is the Fall 222 Sprint. It will run from 2300 UT until  0300UT. Circle your calendar for Tuesday so you do not forget.

73

Dave K1WHS