Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS

To: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:41:36 -0500
Marshall, I had the same problem here. All the low VHF band s used 28 MHz as the IF, while the bands above 432 (all seven of them) used 144 as the IF.  Having a M/M setup with an 8877 pumping out 1500 watts on 144.185 caused big problems with the IFs. We migrated all the MW IFs to 145 MHz to avoid the problem. We also changed the low IF to 29 MHz for the same reason. You could hear the 28 MHz IF signal from another band when all of them were running at once. We even moved the 144 tower from 10 feet away from the building to 250 ft away, just to reduce the rock crushing level of the fundamental signal. It is so much easier when you are a single operator!

I have stowed the 222 array for the winter.  Hopefully, it will still be in place come Springtime!

Dave K1WHS