Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS

To: "'VHF Contesting'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS
From: "Terry Price" <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:21:01 -0500
Q5 Signal took over the lower 4 bands from DEMI some time ago. It was my
understanding that the fellow who took over these had been building them for
DEMI for some time and the quality is just as good as Steve had. I know they
make the multiband transverter in a 25w and a high power version. Since they
can use BCD data from your radio for auto bandswitching, seems a great way to
go!

I bought my 736 within a month of when they arrived in the US, it's made a lot
of contacts in almost 40 years but they are an old design and even with the
Mutek mods on 2m and 70cm, it still doesn't hold a candlestick to my K3 and
DEMI transverters.

Building an IF switch to run your HF rig with transverters is easy. There are
many multipole SMA relays on ebay with high isolation and sometimes you can
find them with aux contacts to handle PTT switching. Using transverters also
makes sequencing for remote LNA's MUCH easier and WAY less chance of
accidentally hitting the dreaded MOX button on your rig (I removed mine from my
736 after frying several LNA's!!)

Terry