Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 2-22-22 222 activity report

To: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>, "newsvhf@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "wz1v@sbcglobal.net" <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 2-22-22 222 activity report
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:37:27 -0500
That is a great list of 222 denizens.  I am very happy that our little activity experiment on 222 now has legs and seems to be self perpetuating.   Reading the list of contacts from Ron, WZ1V was very rewarding for me.  It shows that the reason people are getting on is that it is really fun and not to be missed.  I am dying to hear who Howard, WA3EOQ worked.  February is in the doldrums on VHF but it is invigorating to see activity on 222 on a Tuesday night in Winter!  I got so excited that I took a walk today and checked out the road status up to my shack on the hill. It looks like a river at the moment with quite a lot of water cascading down in the wheel ruts. There is still plenty of ice in many spots.  It is impossible to dislodge any of it. Most people do not realize that the ice pack melts from below.  When the outside air warms up enough, the heat from in the ground is able to start melting the ice pack. When that happens you can chip away the ice. In the woods, the ground temps are still quite cold and so the ice is still firmly attached to the ground.  I am hoping that we get a bit more heat and some of the ice melts so that I can haul the gear back up the hill. Honestly, it is looking pretty good and my hope is that I can get up there by mid March. That is only a couple of Tuesday nights away!!

So, we need to promote 222 activity and try to extend the areas that support any activity.   Along those lines, I am looking into getting a couple of Larcan amplifier pallets and will pass them along to stations in the lesser populated VHF areas. What better way to generate some DX activity on the band.  We need some KWs in places like Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky etc. I am hoping things fall into place this summer for the amplifiers.

I am working on my 1500 watt Larcan amp.  I do a little each night.  You should never run one without a robust protection circuit. Yes, I know a lot of folks do, but solid state FETs are not like vacuum tubes with massive metal plate structures and huge electron emitting cathodes. FETs have atomic layers and will expire if you don't hold your mouth just right!!  I am very close to having it ready. I just need to wire up the mounted circuitry. I have the DC FET switches working. The low pass filter is working. The metering is in place. About all that is left is a new bracket for all the outside connections to the real world.....keying lines, Coax switch lines, power connector  etc.

On a sad note, I will certainly miss the big signal of KA2LIM on 222. Ken was an early and frequent supporter of the 222 activity nights. He was always in there making noise and doing great things.  Many people may not be aware that he was also a command sergeant major in the US Army.  That alone would put me in awe of what he has accomplished in his life. Ken was a do'er and not a talker.  He was one of the ops here when we were trying to compete as a multi-multi in the September VHF contests.  He had plenty of ideas, and always had a plan!

73

Dave K1WHS