[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night de BUG

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night de BUG
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 22:43:55 -0400
Well, that was fun!

Conditions didn't seem great but definitely better than last week. I worked:

K1WHS FN43 SSB
WZ1V FN31 SSB
N1JEZ FN44 SSB
W1XR FM19 CW   560 miles!
W1GHZ FN34 CW
KV1J FN42 CW   20 watts!
W1FKF FN43 SSB
VE2XX FN25 SSB
K1PXE FN31 CW
W1AIM FN34 SSB
WA1T FN43 CW
WB2SIH FN31 FT8

Thanks to Dave, K1WHS for relaying to K1PXE to look for me on CW. I worked Pete a couple minutes later right at my noise floor, but naturally 3 or 4 minutes after that he was 559 calling CQ.

Working W1XR for the first time was great! I love those long ones! That is my best distance for a 222 Activity Night so far. There was a lot of QSB but we caught a peak and got it done.

I enjoyed a very nice chat with W1FKF about 10 GHz stuff. Most of my focus for the past several months has been working toward getting on 10 GHz. I'm not there yet but making progress.

I expect to be on for at least a little while for the 432 Sprint tomorrow. I have a K1FO-40 at 110 feet but only 25 watts so it won't be easy working anyone except K1DY.

I'm having a few challenges with last year's antenna farm rebuild. The 6 meter yagi elements have been resonating in 5-10 mph breezes and vibrating the whole tower, causing hardware to loosen up! I pulled it down Monday morning and am not sure what its future is at this point. I doubt I will put it back at 105 feet since I am almost never on 6 any more. I will probably stick it on a short tower at 35 feet eventually, but should wait until after I remove a few leaning 70 foot trees from that area. The rotator on the HF tower quit working last week. I'm not sure yet what is wrong with it.

Removal of the 6 meter antenna means there is a spare feedline now. I am tempted to put the 1296 transverter and 45 element loop yagi up there, but I doubt I would be able to work anyone with my whole whopping one watt!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf