[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night 04/27/2022

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night 04/27/2022
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:49:22 -0400
Hello 222 ops,

I had been lurking around the station in the afternoon, and re organized the AC wiring with a new outlet strip bolted to the side of a relay rack. I have two separate AC outlet systems.One is directly run by the diesel generator. The second system uses an inverter that runs off solar power. The AC inverter is good for about 1800 watts.  The work cleaned up a lot of messy power cords.  While doing the work, I was monitoring the K1RT/b beacon on 222.060. It seemed pretty good in the afternoon, but by evening we had steady rain and drizzle move in and the conditions deteriorated a bit.  I was back on for 222 at 22:30 UT and things were a bit slow at first. John WW1Z was my first QSO.  More stations appeared after 2300 UT, and I was very pleased to see all sorts of action on the chat page. I was monitoring ON4KST and noted that there was activity all over the eastern half of the country.  It was quite impressive to see. KB8VAO and N8WMA were on in Ohio. I saw that AA9MY was on and looking for Qs along with K9MRI.  Walt, AJ6T near Nashville was on with 10 watts and made a few contacts as well. There was some activity down South as well. W4ZST was on and making noise. Terry N4TWX was also in there with N1GC and KC4AAW.   W5EME in Louisiana got on and was calling CQ and looking for any type of prop available as well.   I got a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that such a group was there exercising the band and trying stuff out.

This is exactly what we need on a given Tuesday night. We need stations situated all over the place and outside of our normal range of coverage.It is only then that those anomalous types of long haul propagation will ever be noticed!  As we get into the warmer months, the chances of some good tropo as well as better meteors increases by a wide margin.    Don't forget aurora. We are getting a much more active Sun lately, and I hope we get some 222 MHz aurora too. I tried running some meteor tests with W4ZST for about 25 minutes. He heard me great right off, but I never heard a peep from Bob.  Mike, N1JEZ in Vermont was listening in and heard a nice ping that was long enough to get calls and a report from W4ZST.  It is amazing at how selective some meteor burns can be. I was using my 8 x 5 element yagis when calling W4ZST. While it has a very narrow vertical lobe, the horizontal lobe is very broad with a 3 dB point at 52 degrees.  It should be awesome for meteors. Still I heard nothing and Mike copied one burst that I could not detect.

There was some heavy QSB last night that I was seeing. W1XR called me on SSB and was a strapping S8! We started to ragchew and then noted that signals had dropped enough that we both got weak on SSB! Wow! It was a huge variation.  I tried calling Howard, WA3EOQ in FM09jo but could not pull him out of the noise. I guess it was bad conditions, but I did note that my noise floor was elevated in his direction by about 6 dB. I think I was getting preamp overload from the CH 11 transmitter that is 17 miles away and pumping out 316 KW ERP. I need to get my tower mtd preamp in order. It gets clobbered from the TV station whenever I aim at 219 degrees +/- 15 degrees, so Howard is right on the edge and I think my hearing was degraded last night.  More preamp work is needed here. A cavity front end is needed.

Some of the regulars were missing last night, but it was nice to hear the 222 denizens WZ1V and K1PXE making noise all evening. I seemed to hear so many K1PXE CQs all over the place!  That boy is dedicated!!   Good buddy Ron WZ1V was heard on CW, SSB, and FT8! I listened a bit on FT8 and heard W3IP, and W1FKF, WB2SIH and N1BUG as well.   It was also great to hear N1BUG on CW, especially when he worked W1XR over an over 500 mile path. That is always cause for celebration.

73

Dave K1WHS