Re: [VHFcontesting] US Antenna Manufacturer

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] US Antenna Manufacturer
From: Walter Carrington <wc@mathmicro.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:25:21 -0400
Dave, WERU still has a link to Directive Systems on their website. They also have plans for a homebrew 6 element yagi on a 13' wooden boom. Since it is based on a 1956 Popular Science design, I suspect a more modern design would do better. They actually have a decent article on improving reception.

https://weru.org/listen/improving-your-reception/

    I'll be listening to it in 2 weeks on vacation on an island off Deer Isle, ME. It's only about 25 miles, so I probably won't need a yagi.

Walter, K1CMF

Dave, K1WHS said:

Directive Systems used to make a pretty FB FM broadcast antenna just for
FM DXing and serious audiophiles. It was an 8 element dual driven yagi
on a 16 ft boom, optimized for 88-92 MHz. All of the "listenable"
stations were located at the bottom of the band and that was the focus
for the audiophiles.? My dentist was a serious FM listener and he was
complaining to me while drilling one of my teeth, that he could not pull
in WERU, in his favorite station from Blue Hill, Maine.