[VHFcontesting] US Antenna Manufacturer

To: "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] US Antenna Manufacturer
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:44:04 -0500
For those VHF weak signal operators who also enjoy FM DXing, you may be aware
that antennas for the FM Broadcast band 88-108 Mhz are nearly impossible to
find now in the US. Those available are of limited performance. Dipoles,
4-element beams, etc.

The days of running down to Radio Shack or an electronics shop and buying an
APS-13 fringe-FM antenna are gone.

InnovAntenna makes some large OP-DES Yagis for the FM band, but they’re
expensive, shipping costs to the US are high, and delivery times have been
unpredictable.

https://www.innovantennas.com/en/our-antennas/240/26/88mhz-108mhz-broadcast/11-element-88-108mhz-op-desInnovAntennas%20shop.html

<https://www.innovantennas.com/en/our-antennas/240/26/88mhz-108mhz-broadcast/11-element-88-108mhz-op-desInnovAntennas%20shop.html>

Antennland in Germany makes the famous Korner 9.2 FM antenna, which are well
built, and perform great. A few years back, I imported ten of them into the US
and sold them immediately. We discussed bringing the larger Korner 14 design to
market, but their vendor in Italy went out of business, and shipping costs
became prohibitive.

https://www-antennenland-net.translate.goog/3H-FM-9M19?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

<https://www-antennenland-net.translate.goog/3H-FM-9M19?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc>

I believe there is a market of FM DXers and audiophiles seeking
high-performance FM antennas. Albeit a limited market, where the antennas would
have to be expensive to be profitable.

It seems like the perfect market for a small, specialty antenna manufacturer.
There used to be such a company in Maine that manufactured VHF weak-signal
antennas. But I can’t recall who that was.

I’d be interested in discussing this as a business venture and am willing to
help with development costs to explore the idea further. Does anyone know a
shop that might be interested?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
les@highnoonfilm.com <mailto:les@highnoonfilm.com>
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR,  AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP Duo, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy
Modified], Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps,
Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active
Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”