Re: [VHFcontesting] The K1WHS Chronicles

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The K1WHS Chronicles
From: Paul N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 06:06:15 -0400
Hey Mike,

I can identify with just about everything you said. I miss the every day 2 meter activity we used to have here in Maine/VE1/VE9.

I'd like to suggest K1WHS write a book! I would get in line to buy a book about his VHF experiences, from building of an using the old EME array to the contest station and whatever else is related! I'm serious. I would really love to read the full K1WHS story.

I've been around VHF since 1986 but to quote something W5UN once told me about 2 meter EME, it seems "the bloom has come off the rose". I just sent Dave a personal note thanking him for his efforts to get high power 222 amps into the hands of people who will use them. One of the reasons all VHF/UHF bands have become less interesting for those of us in outlying areas is the sharp decline in the number of high power stations. 500 mile troposcatter QSOs used to be commonplace but are now very rare because few have the horsepower for it. Finding long haul meteor scatter skeds that have any chance of succeeding is increasingly difficult or impossible for the same reason. I'm hoping some of those 222 decks end up in the hands of people 1300-1400 miles from me!

I operate FT8 somewhat but it is much less fun for me. One of the things I absolutely loved about VHF was hearing the unique propagation characteristics on signals. So much is lost with FT8. It's sterile and boring.

Activity in Maine is declining too. Some, like me, are discouraged by the ever declining number of high power stations making longer distance QSOs hard to come by. Not even FT8 with its lower decode threshold can make up the difference. Some have been discouraged by FT8. And sadly some are silent key.

I can't be sure if this but I sense that fewer active stations in Maine/VE1/VE9/VY2 may further compound the problem as there is less incentive for people to point this way.

Whatever the reasons, the bloom is clearly off the rose for those of us up this way.

Dave, when are you going to write that book? HI HI!

73,
Paul N1BUG