Re: [VHFcontesting] K index just went through the roof

To: Chris Lumens <chris@lumensoutdoors.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K index just went through the roof
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 14:53:08 -0400
Hello Chris,

Aim your antennas up to the North. You will hear a raspy CW note from an auroral signal. People are seeing Auroral signals on six meters right now, but it is not strong and only northerly stations are making it. As the Sun sets the condx will get better for AU and things will improve with signals appearing on 144, 222, and maybe 432.  You should hear CW on 144 just below 144.100.  Speed is slow at about 12-15 wpm and be sure to swing your antenna around. You did not say where you are located, but beam headings can extend both East and West as the Aurora gets bigger. If you hear strong signals on 144, you should  listen on 432.100 plus or minus in case things get really good.  Be aware that doppler shift can be significant on 432. Callers might be 2+ kHz away from your carrier at times. Use a wide bandwidth in your RX.  I hope this helps. I am getting ready to head up to the shack now.

Dave K1WHS

FN43mj Lebanon, ME. 04027