Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] [Packrats] Contest suggestion

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] [Packrats] Contest suggestion
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 18:41:51 -0700
> From: Paul Bourque <pbourque@gmail.com>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I was talking with Bart, W9JJ about this today and he suggested that the
> sprints might be a great way to test any changes.
> The dialog we have going on here is really good- there are lots of great
> ideas being presented. Believe me, we are paying attention here at HQ.

What would the reaction be if someone came up with a software package
that interfaced with the
digital software and did the entire digital contest without human
intervention once started.  That way,
the operator could download the contest software package, start it up,
and go watch the football
game (or mow the lawn).  The software could listen for any FT8 (or
other digital mode) signals, work
those stations, log the contacts, and even send in the log at the end
of the contest.  The software could
scrape the various web sites announcing and coordinating contacts for
additional contact possibilities.

Think of the possibilities!  Contesting without a sore butt from
sitting in the chair for hours.  One might
even be able to be on several bands at once, much less hassle with
moving stations to other bands.

I have looked into this in enough detail to know that this is a simple
matter of programming.

What do folks think?

        Alan