[WriteLog] CW keying quality

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW keying quality
From: ron.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:35:56 -0500
I have been looking at options to make the transition from DOS to Win98 for
my shack computer.

Experiments with trial copies of logging programs for Win98 have resulted in
my discovering that all of them generate less than perfectly formed CW.
Authors of two of the programs have responded to me that its a problem which
results from Windows responding to interupts from other processes which need
attention.  As most of you know a single processor system can really only
service one process at a time.  It only appears to be multitasking because
it can switch between tasks (processes) so quickly.  What happens is that
while in the middle of a CW character the system is interupted to do a disk
i/o or respond to moving the mouse, etc, etc.  This can change the length of
a dot or a dash.  The faster your processor is the less noticable will be
the impact.

Efficient programming can help, i.e. fewer instructions to accomplish the
same function.  So I would expect the quality of the generated CW to vary
with different programs.

So my question:  Have you listened very carefully to the CW that Writelog
generates?  Do you notice any imperfections?  You should have other
applications running, perhaps typing, moving the mouse, generating some
other activity.

My system is a AMD 266 Mhz processor, a faster system would help I am sure.

I am currently a CT user with DOS.  But as I said I would like to make the
switch to Win98 for the shack, because there is so much good software for
hams available for that OS.

So I am hoping to hear that WriteLog does a great job generating perfect CW.

Ron N5IN