[WriteLog] Writelog with HAL ST8000 - Is that the Ultimate?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog with HAL ST8000 - Is that the Ultimate?
From: dhill@cprk.com (Hill, Don)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:59:22 -0600
I didn't know this before talking with Ron, K5DJ, last week.  I
had said earlier that the PK232 copied better on 'echo-ey' signals
over the pole.  He asked me if I use the wide band tuning of
WinRTTY.  I didn't know what he was talking about.  This weekend
I used a sound board for a RTTY receive window to back up the PK232
again, but this time I left the Wideband Decoding on both sound boards
(one for each radio) the entire contest.

I'm happy to report that WinRTTY copies just has good if not better
than the PK232 on over the polar fluttery signals.

To turn Wideband Decoding on, go to the File menu in RTTYrite and
it's the first one listed.  Click on it and a ticker tape will begin
to scroll across the bottom of the RTTYrite screen.  You can't
click on anything in the tape, but it definitely helps having it
there.

I didn't back up my KAM on the 3rd radio this weekend as planned.  I
had so much trouble getting 3 RTTY screens to work at the same time
on one computer that I left well enough alone.  Also, WriteLog would
not highlight callsigns in the 3rd screen, but I would guess that
the sound board would be better in most cases versus a KAM especially
with Wideband Decoding activated.

73, Don AA5AU

>>>Raj Wrote:

I don't know about the ST8000. This weekend my second radio never showed
up, so I wired the sound board in parallel with the KAM+  and operated
the whole weekend watching both receive windows. There were many times
where the sound card decoded better than the KAM. My impression is that
in cases of static, atmospherics, QRM etc the sound card was better. In
the case where there was flutter, and the weird hollow, 'echo-ey'
neither did that well. That's my impression. I was very impressed with
the new version of winrtty. I never could quite feel comfortable with
the older version. Herb, I think you should buy the ST8000 and take this
research to the next level.
73
Raj VE6RAJ<<<