[WriteLog] Power Field is Driving me Crazy

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Power Field is Driving me Crazy
From: joens@thecia.net" <joens@thecia.net (Michael C. Joens)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:09:43 -0500
Wayne,

I apologize for summarizing into "driving me up the wall". I did stand it
until the end of the contest, I did not have the time to give you details.
I think your assessment is correct, the power field was preset with the
data from the previous spot. As far as I can tell, the following happened:

1. If the entry field was blank, and the station was new (not worked on
other bands), the power field stayed blank --> good.
2. If the entry field was blank, and the station was old (worked on at
least one other band), the power field was preset correctly --> good.
3. If there was something in the power field from a previous spot of a
station I worked before on an other band, and I clicked on a different
spot, the power remained that of the first spot, i.e. the new spot did not
overwrite or blank the information --> here's the problem.
4. If I hit Alt-W to clear the entry fields or work the station (which
clears the fields), the next (one) spot is correc --> good.

The interim solution was to hit Alt-W before clicking on a spot, but that
was awkward and easy to forget. I think that if the program injected the
equivalent of an Alt-W before putting a new packet spot in the entry
window, that would solve the problem.

I think I've noticed similar behavior in the past when I had information in
the entry field and didn't clear it before hitting packets spots.  This
only used to happen if I entered something and ended up not working the
station (got his exchange but couldn't break the pileup). But since
Writelog did not pull up previous QSO information, that wasn't usually a
problem.

BTW, I downloaded the version that's up on the web right now and
re-installed 1015bfull and 1015c. The problem is the same.

I hope this helps you find the underlying code that causes this problem.
Sorry for the outburst, but this problem did drive me crazy until I got
used to it. For what it's worth, it did help to vent (finished with just
over a million points) and I'm glad to see that you're working on a
solution. Please let me know if can be of assistance to test any fixes
before the next contest. Other than the problem I reported, Writelog worked
beautifully.

73,
Michael, K1JE