[WriteLog] Dayton 2K update

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Dayton 2K update
From: dsinner@tfb.com (Dale Sinner)
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 12:18:14 -0700
Attention all RTTYers going to Dayton!

The transportation to and from the arena is the biggest issue this year.
The Dayton Convention Bureau (DCB) this year has discontinued one bus from
their schedule and that bus is the one which stopped near our hotel. Each
year this has become a problem for us and each year we have to come up with
a work around. Here is this year's plan and choices:

First Choice

Our hotel has dedicated a 12 passenger van for our use. A small fee of
$2.00 will be charged by the hotel each way. However, because of time
constrains, the bus will only be able to make about three trips in the AM
and again in the PM. Tickets must be purchased at the desk or it's vicinity
as designated by the hotel. The van will probably leave at approximately
7:00 AM and then each hour until 9:00 AM. If you purchase a ticket for the
7:00 AM bus then you must return on the 3:00 PM bus. Consequently, the
schedule goes like this: 7:00 AM returns 3:00 PM, 8:00 AM returns 4:00 PM,
and 9:00 AM returns 5:00 PM. If you wish to swap your ticket around that is
up to you and not the hotel. This service will be available on Friday and
Saturday only. No bus service will be provided for Sunday to the arena.
These tickets will be sold on a first come, first serviced basis. Once the
tickets are sold, that's it!

Second Choice

Many hams are driving to the Hamvention this year and we are asking for
their help. Please drive your car to the arena even though parking is less
than desired and we asking you to take a passenger or two with you.
Probably the best place to work out these arrangements would be at the
Thursday evening bash in the bar. We need your help to make this work. We
have 80 rooms sold this year and there is no way a 12 passenger van can
accommodate all those who need transportation to and from the arena. Thanks
for your help.

Third Choice

AVIS has a rental car office in the hotel for those who wish to rent a car.
Several hams may wish to go this route to help with transportation. If you
are interested in this choice, call Sheri Zanow at (937) 435-4404 and be
sure to mention you are with the RTTY group.

Fourth Choice

I'm told the local taxi service will be charging a flat fee to and from the
arena of $24.00, plus tips and each taxi can take 4 passengers.

Fifth Choice

The local bus stops in front of the hotel and can take you all the way to
the arena but requires some transfers. We hope to have bus schedules for
you at the hotel upon arrival.

The bus service we used to enjoy is no longer being provided and I would
expect that next year it will be the same. So if you wish to complain,
complain to the hotel management either in person or in writing. The hotels
in the Dayton area are the only people who can influence the DCB.

Don't forget, the gang meets in the cocktail lounge of the hotel early on
Thursday evening. We hope to see many of you there. Bell Henry, K9GWT,
Editor of the RTTY Journal is requesting us all to bring a QSL card and a
picture of our shack this year. He intends to display them in the
hospitality suite both Friday and Saturday nights. This will no doubt be
interesting viewing and bring about much conversation.

See you at Dayton 2K
73
Dale Sinner, W6IWO

Sorry for the bandwidth.