[WriteLog] Re: WriteLog Digest V3 #154 - PC Networks

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: WriteLog Digest V3 #154 - PC Networks
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 05:51:29 -0000
Mitch has given an excellent summary.

Just to add a couple of minor points:

1) No amateur station network needs a switch - a hub will do fine - in
fact, 10 mb Ethernet is more than sufficient for any amateur radio
use, and is really good enough for most businesses.  Don't waste your
money on 100mb cards or a switch.

2) If you have an Ethernet network which is connected to the Internet
full-time via Cable Modem, DSL, or ISDN etc. you need security.  Visit
this site to read everything you need to know
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 or this link if that doesn't work
http://grc.com/default.htm and go to the "Shields Up" area.  Step by
step instructions are given for you to lock down your PC's vulnerable
ports.

3) If you are connected to the Internet full-time, IP addresses are
significant and you'll need to check with your provider to see what IP
addresses are OK for you to use.  In my case, on a DSL line, my
provider issues me up to 7 IP addresses via DHCP (automatic TCP/IP
configuration).  Your situation may vary depending on your provider
and the deal you have.

If your network is not connected to the Internet, you can pretty much
do whatever you want.  The 255.255.255.0 subnet mask allows for you to
have 254 computers in your network.  As Mitch says, just keep the
first 3 groups of numbers the same and vary the last number and it'll
work fine.  (200.200.200.10, 200.200.200.11 and so on.)

73,
Bob N5NJ

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O