[WriteLog] Strange pauses at CW.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Strange pauses at CW.
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:29:42 -0000
>From the descriptions of this problem on the reflector, I strongly suspect
this is a documented feature rather than a bug. The CW and RTTY and Voice
Memory Setup page in the help file says this:

********
the letter "C" [in a memory causes] the contents of the "CALL" field in the
entry window are sent. If the CALL field is blank, then the CALL from the
previous QSO is sent.

Special case: If, when you press the function key corresponding to a memory
with %C in it, you also have the cursor in the CALL field of the Entry
window, then WriteLog switches to live CW transmission from the Entry
window. Each key you type not only is recorded in the CALL field but is also
transmitted as CW at the appropriate time. WriteLog shows you it has entered
this mode by drawing a red rectangle around the CALL box. Typing BACKSPACE
attempts to not send the last character. (Some CW keyer options (PK-232 and
W5XD keyer) do not support this option.) Any characters following the %C in
the memory are held until you tab or space out of the CALL field, or until
you stop typing for more than 1 second.
*******

What I believe I can do for version 10.18 is change that last "1 second" to
be this:

1 second, or when the CW (or voice, or RTTY) corresponding to the letters
currently in the CALL field are finished sending, whichever comes first.

That way, as long as the outgoing transmission of the first letters of the
CALL are still in progress, you can still type new letters in at the end of
the call--even after you type the F key that has the %C in it. But when the
CW catches up with your typing, the remainder of the message beyond the %C
in the F key gets sent--ready or not.

Please don't bother to ask me to remove the ability to type in and transmit
CALL corrections on-the-fly like this. A crowd of people bugged me for a
long time to get that feature put in. I think the above fix will keep those
people happy, and make the people that now think its a bug happy also.

Thanks,

Wayne, W5XD