[WriteLog] Network cabling advice

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Network cabling advice
From: w1zt@mediaone.net (George Johnson)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:59:18 -0400
Hi Barry,
I ended up doing both.  I bought a network 'kit' from SOHOware that
had a 10/100 MBps hub plus the two network cards and a pair of cables.
The kit also had software that would allow me to connect one of the
computers as a server to the network and then share my internet
connection via the network from the other computer.  I added another
computer and bought a crimping tool from Home Depot (Ideal #30-496).
That tool will crimp both the regular RJ-11 telephone connectors as
well as the RJ-45 (Ideal #85-346) network style connectors.  I am
guessing that it was around $30 for the tool.  I was able to make the
cables appropriate legths and I think I may have broken even at this
point :-)... and now I have the 'tools' for both network and telephone
use.

George .. W1ZT