[WriteLog] Laptop Serial port, networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Laptop Serial port, networking
From: w0sd@rapidnet.com (Ed Gray)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:59:29 -0500
Doug,

In regards to laptops just a comment.  For the ARRL RTTY ROUNDUP we tried
using a laptop and the RF had it for lunch!  For whatever reason we have
used the same laptop for VHF contest, high power and not had any trouble.
For the ARRL RTTY ROUNDUP we did have the laptop configured for networking
and used the ONE serial port for FSK.  That all worked fine but the RF DID
us in in the pre-tests and had to give it up.  We then tried to use it as
our "INTERNET" computer as we are in multi-op and the RF kept knocking us
off.  Forty meter was the worst.

So before you go to a lot of work make sure it can handle the RF!  I spent
the money and invested the time all for nothing so wanted to warn other.
Just to much plastic and not enough sheilding in my laptop.

73, Ed W0SD

Ed Gray McCook County Extension Educator-Marketing/Farm Management
Box 130
130 East Essex
Salem, SD 57058-0130

Office phone 605 425 2242