[WriteLog] 2R serial number question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] 2R serial number question
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:07:48 -0000
Yes, but...

Don,
In each of the paragraphs below you show a work-around for the
"problem."  The problem, as I see it, is that Writelog assigns the
serial numbers prematurely.  If the serial numbers were not
assigned until the F-key to send the exchange is pushed, we
wouldn't have any of these out-of-sequence/duplicate/missing serial
numbers.

Let's assume I'm on CW or Phone, and there are no already-duped
calls to click on, as with RTTY. Suppose I am running at a good
rate on radio A. I am tuning on radio B for new QSOs/mults on
another band. I type in a call and hit the space bar to dupe check it
on radio B. A serial number is now assigned. However, my run rate
is too fast on radio A to squeeze in the QSO on radio B. If it takes
3-4 minutes to get that radio B QSO in, that serial number may be
off by 10 or more. If I decide not to work that QSO on radio B and
concentrate on the run radio, I hit Alt-W on radio B and a number is
now missing in the log.

If that serial number on B was not assigned until I committed to
work that station (i.e., after I push the F-key to send my exchange
to him), the serial numbers would be in sequence.

I'm not a programmer, and have trouble thinking logically at times.
Is there a reason why it couldn't be done this way?

73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com