[WriteLog] Audio Amp for DXP-38 Input

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Audio Amp for DXP-38 Input
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 12:17:32 -0500
(I tried to post this a few days ago but never saw it appear on the
reflector - here it is again...)

Regarding the discussion a few days ago about needing to step up the audio
input into the Hal DXP-38 from rigs (like my Yaesu FT-920) that have a
fixed-level audio output on the "packet" or "data" connector, I found a kit
at a local hamfest last weekend made by Ten-Tec - it's available for $10.00
from TenTec and looks like it will do just what I need. I've assembled it
but haven't had time to hook it in-line with the rig yet.

Here's the info from Ten-Tec's web site:

Utility Audio Amplifier

Need a quick, reliable, inexpensive audio amplifier stage for that homebrew
project? This careful design gives your project the very same audio output
circuit that we use in today's TEN-TEC transceivers!  Enjoy 1.5 watts of
low-distortion audio with no worry about motorboating and other unwanted
oscillations. Includes optional preamp input for 10 dB gain. Important:
this circuit is designed for 12-15 VDC.

T-KIT No. 1550, $10.00

www.tentec.com

I'll update the group after I've got the amp in-line. I did play with the
DXP-38 using audio from the external speaker output of the FT-920 and it
made a significant difference in weak-signal copy, so I expect this amp
should do the same thing.

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com

9/1/00 Update - Hooked the amp in-line with the DXP-38 today and it works
like a charm. Adjusted for "full" illumination of the LEDs with a 599
signal and it certainly seems to decode weak sigs better. Was listening to
the 7X yesterday - far too weak for me to work, but printed suprisingly
more than I expected it to (and certainly more than it used to).