[WriteLog] Startup Menu Follow Up

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Startup Menu Follow Up
From: sherrick@ameritech.net (Scot Herrick)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:25:05 -0000
All,

A couple of additional items to let the reflector know of a couple of things
emailed to me privately on use of limiting the startup items for the PC.

First, I am personally using Windows 98. I believe Windows 95 and 98 will
follow my general comments and the specifics from W1GI. I do NOT know how
the startup programs are done with Windows NT, 2000, or ME. If others on the
reflector know how to look at the startup programs with these operating
systems, it would be good to know. OK, so Windows has gotten diverse and
complicated...

Second, I don't think I was as clear as needed for what can be done when on
the startup piece of the email. So....

At ANY time, you can edit the startup programs looking for unused or
duplicate program loads using the START/RUN/MSCONFIG process described in
previous emails. My machine continues to do MUCH better after editing this
process.

Then, when you boot up your machine to start the contest, let everything
come up and THEN close down the task bar items not needed. This is usually
accomplished by right clicking on the task bar item and looking for an 'exit
the program' type option. If it's not there, left click on it to open it up
and close the program down once it's on your screen. You need to do this
step each time you restart your PC during the contest. This step is the one
that significantly reduces your chances of crashing and gives you better
speed during the contest.

Hope this helps.

CU...Scot, K9JY

mailto:scot@k9jy.com