[WriteLog] Soundcard and FT-1000MP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Soundcard and FT-1000MP
From: nn5t@attglobal.net (Jon Suehiro)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:41:28 -0600
I am using TS950SDX and Heil headset.   I think the basic should be same.

"TREMENDOUS HUM" --- are you using any scheme to reduce the sound card
SPEAKER OUTPUT level into the mic input ?   Without this, the mic input is
completely over-driven and will pick up every back ground noise from sound
card into the rig.

My connection is following:

Using 600/600Ohm isolation transformer available at Radio Shack

   One side is connected to the sound card SPEAKER OUTPUT directly.

   The other side, I have 3 resisters.   470Ohm at hot end of isolation
transformer with series with 100Ohm to ground.   At the junction of
470~100Ohm, added 2kOhm resister.   The other end of 2kOhm is connected to
mic input to the rig.   Of course the ground end is obtained at the same
spot with 100Ohm.

  I have Heil tapped into the microphone connector directly in parallel with
the connection from sound card.

You can adjust the mic gain on your rig with Heil headset, and make sound
card output level equal to Heil at the Windows.

This is very basic configuration.   I am not even using relays to select the
audio (sound card/headset) but works.

For recording .wav files, I have another cord build with isolation
transformer (but no resister at all, 3.5mm plug~transformer~3.5mm jack,
that's all) and simply make hard-switching (manually switching around, hi).

The hoot switch can be directly connected to behind of your FT1000MP, right
?

Hope this will work.

73, Jon Suehiro nn5t@arrl.net